Sign Regulation Update
This update to the City of Jacksonville sign regulations comes after almost two decades without a change and is the result of work in partnership with Planning Concepts and the Jacksonville Economic Development Corporation (JEDCO). This update incudes measures to improve safety and beauty along commercial routes. Along with the ordinance update, city staff will streamline the permitting process, will make the rules more clear and concise, and will better define what kinds of signs are allowed and what the process is to obtain a permit. The full sign ordinance can be found at the link below.
New Signs: regulations currently in effect
Existing Prohibited Temporary Signs: regulations Effective: February 2022
Existing Permanent Signs: "grandfathered" under prior ordinance - restrictions apply (see full ordinance)
- Expanded and modernized sign classifications and definitions.
- New Temporary sign permit.
- Reduced visual clutter of commercial corridors.
- Improve aesthetics of commercial areas to attract more business and more businesses.
- Increased regulations for new billboards.
- New 30-Day grand opening allowance.
How do I get a permit?
To inquire about a permit, please fill out the permit application below. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Awning Signs
- Banner Signs (Temporary)
- Billboard Signs
- Blade Signs
- Changeable Copy Signs
- Changeable Electronic Variable Message Signs
- Construction Signs
- Exterior Directory Signs
- Flags and Flagpoles
- Freestanding Pole Signs
- Marquee Signs
- Master Signage Plans
- Menu Boards
- Monument Signs
- Real Estate Signs (Commercial and Multi-Family)
- Subdivision Identification Signs
- Suspended/Hanging Signs
- Wall Signs @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Concrete Tomatoes
- Garage Sale Signs
- Governmental Signs
- Holiday Decorations
- Interior Signs (not attached to exterior windows or doors)
- Legal Notices
- Memorial Signs/Headstones
- Official Traffic Signs
- Personal Identification Signs
- Political Signs
- Sandwich Boards/A-Frame Signs
- Signs Required by Law
- Single Family Residential Real Estate Signs
- Vehicular Signs @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Bandit Signs
- Flashing Signs
- Inflatable Signs
- Moving/Rotating Signs
- Off-Premise Signs
- Pennants/Feather Pennants
- Permanent Banners
- Portable Signs
- Signs Held by Individuals
- Signs Imitating Traffic Devices
- Windblown Device @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>