The Sanitation Department is responsible for the pick-up of residential trash along with selective commercial trash. The city has 2 garbage trucks that run normal routes on:
You must have your trash on the curb or in the alley the morning of your route in order for it to be picked up.
For more information about the sanitation department, contact Billy Redd at 903-589-3510.
Bulk Pick-up Service
- Customers not signed up for bulk service will have their items picked up during their address's assigned week, no matter what time of the week they call. We will no longer do a Wednesday list for pickup.
- Customers may sign up for bulk service throughout the year but cannot change service for 12 months after the initial change.
- Customers who have signed up for bulk service are entitled to 10 cubic yards of waste at no cost once a month. 10 cubic yards is equal to a pile 6 feet wide by 9 feet long by 5 feet tall. If there is more than 10 cubic yards of waste set out they will be charged special pick-up rates for the remaining waste.
- The city will not pick up any hazardous waste during the bulk pick-up. Any resident who places hazardous material for pick-up can be issued a citation for illegal dumping. Hazardous material is any liquid paint, chemicals, motor oil, spray paint, anything not accepted at the landfill.
- All items for bulk pick-up need to be placed at the curb no later than 7 am the Monday of their scheduled week. City crews will start the route on Monday and work their way through the route as the week goes on finishing the route by Friday afternoon. Placing items out too early can result in a code enforcement violation.
- Items placed for bulk pick-up cannot be placed in trash bags. All small items must be placed in boxes weighing no more than 75 pounds each. Boxes weighing over 75 pounds will be left at the location with a notice of the problem. Crews will not return that month to pick-up the boxed once the problem is resolved. The customer will have to place the boxes back out the next month.
Items Not Accepted
Items the City will not accept are:
- Liquid Paint
Customers who have not signed up for bulk pick-up service will be charged the special pick-up rates as follows:
|First 10 garbage bags||Free|
|More than 10 garbage bags||$2.50 per bag after 10|
|Brush tied in a bundle in 3 feet lengths, weighing no more than 40 lbs
|A pickup truck load of brush, junk, debris or miscellaneous||Price starts at $45.00 per load|
|Dump truck load||$65.00 per load|
|Only tree debris and vegetation||$35.00 per load|
All charges will be placed on your water utility bill.
Royal Oaks Landfill Waste Service
You can also take garbage and other items to the Royal Oaks Landfill on Heath Lane. The landfill is a private company, and their prices are not handled by the City. For prices and questions about the landfill, you can call their office at 903-586-1449.
City Cleanup Days
The City also offers two free cleanup days, annually, where you can bring your items to be thrown away. On the cleanup days, the City has four locations where you can drop off your items, or you can take them to the Landfill. At the landfill, you need to provide proper ID (like a driver's license) and a current water bill in order to get a special deal on disposing those days. Check the City calendar for the next upcoming cleanup day.
For recycling information, please visit the Earth911 Website.